Words Matter – “Confession” – week 2
“Confess your way to Victory”
by: Pastor James
Two types of confession:
- Confessing sin
- Meant to get your own mind and heart free. It’s not for God, because through Jesus you were set free from sin. It’s for you personally and for others that might need to hear it to be set free also.
- If we get too caught up in confessing sin, we eradicate the work of Jesus.
- If we get too caught up, we confess this more than the promise that actually breaks sin in our lives.
- Confessing the Word
- Meant to get heaven right here on earth in your situation
- It’s talking like heaven talks.
- I truly believe that when we get to heaven, we’re going to hear a lot of the Word being spoken. The Word is good, it’s promises, it’s future, it’s hope, it’s good things.
- Confessing the Word needs no translation:
- Jesus doesn’t have to translate your request to God when you pray/confess, if you are speaking the Word. He knows the Word, and since it won’t return void…He starts moving on your behalf right away.
- If we want heaven on earth, we need to talk like heaven instead of earth.
- Fold back the clouds with your confession of heaven here.
- We need to start saying how the situation really is (heaven on earth), instead of how it seems.
- Two ears one mouth ratio…flip that. Use your mouth to defeat the enemy with the answer.
- Story about Portland driver accident
- “I hope that guy gets in a wreck”
- You called it…
- Iran story
- Psalm 118:17 NKJV – I shall not die, but live, And declare the works of the Lord.
- The bomb that went off wasn’t part of his confession, so it couldn’t touch him.
What are we calling into existence?
We are to confess our way to victory.
Proverbs 18:21 NKJV – Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit.
- Power – yad-
- Tenons on the acacia beams of the tabernacle
- Acaciawas hard wood that was very durable
- Known as God’s sacred wood (pillar)
- You are God’s sacred people
- These tenonswould be made of harder wood than the acacia, so as better to stand the strain of wind and weather.
- Tenons held it all together and kept the acacia standing with high winds and strain
- Your tongue is meant to keep you safe. It is meant to be your stabilizer from the wind and circumstances. It is meant to remind you of your righteousness before God.
- Your tongue is the most powerful weapon you own, because it’s the only thing that can shoot the Word at the enemy.
- Questions: Is a gun very dangerous without bullets?
- Is a shark very dangerous without teeth?
- Can a baseball player hit a home run without a bat?
- Can a pole vaulter win gold without his pole?
- Questions: Is a gun very dangerous without bullets?
Our ammunition is the Word, but we have to use it or we’re not going to win.
We confess our way to victory.
Story about Job
Loss of a job, a deadly diseases, a terrorist attack and many other things can make us question and fall into fear. When these things come against us, we tend to start talking about them and taking on the fear hidden within them.
Job 1:5 – “It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.”
- It also says in this portion of scripture that Job did this “regularly.”
- Job was counted on as “the most righteous man” of his time. However, he fell into this sin consciousness as we do many times.
Job 3:25 – For the thing I greatly feared has come upon me, And what I dreaded has happened to me.
- So Job was basically all tied up in his sin consciousness and fear took him over. When fear takes you over, the enemy has his way with you.
- What we fear usually comes out of our mouths more than the answer.
- What we fear usually stays on our mind more than the promise.
- To eliminate fear, confess the Word.
Job 1:9–12 –
- The hedge of protection that was around Job was broken down due to his own sin consciousness. The enemy will plant thoughts that you are not good enough for saving and that you can’t possibly get free.
- He does this because if he can talk you into that, you won’t confess the righteousness that you are, you’ll confess the sin and stay there instead of moving forward with what Jesus already handled.
Job was confessing the wrong stuff.
Your confession was meant to heave you into victory.
Ephesians 1:7 NKJV – In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace.
- If this is the case, you can stop beating yourself up and celebrate in the victory that He accomplished even for you!
Instead, say, “Jesus, You are my righteousness and protection. Surely You shall deliver me from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence!” (Psalm 91:3)
- When God saves you from something in your life, it makes Him happy. It is another representation of your righteousness through His Son and not through your own merits.
- It not only pleases God, but it shuts the door on the enemy!
The walls of Jericho (what happens when you confess the Word):
- Joshua 6:5 NKJV – It shall come to pass, when they make a long blast with the rams horn, and when you hear the sound of the trumpet, that all the people shall shout with a great shout; then the wall of the city will fall down flat. And the people shall go up every man straight before him.
- The walls came down at a shout
- First shout was “ruwa”
- A human shout of joy and victory
- Joy and victory before the walls actually fell was the sign of faith.
- The wall is up, but God said its not up. I believe what God said instead of what I see right in front of me.
- Second shout was “teruwah”
- The alarm of war; great means that of God Himself
- Teruwah was the transition between us (ruwa) and Him (teruwah).
- When we “ruwa” (confess) as God says, He shows up in “teruwah” (great shout).
- Faith in what God said came out of their mouth…faith in what God said mixed with their voice and created a “great shout”, which was God moving on their behalf.
- When we say what God says, it is like He is saying it Himself. When God speaks, the world changes on your behalf.
- We can let God speak, by opening our mouth and letting His Words come out.
Examples of how to confess:
- A doctor’s exam details
- It wasn’t meant to be your new confession, but many times we use it that way.
- It was meant to define your specific biblical confession
- Let your diagnosis be your direction to find a confession that will combat it
- 1 Peter 2:24 NKJV – who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness by whose stripes I am healed.
- Your job
- The boss isn’t giving you your new confession about how bad you are, he’s defining to you where you need to go in scripture to combat it.
- You’re too timid in meetings or you’re too shy to apply for a new position
- 2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV – For God has not given me a spirit of timidity, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
- You’re going to lose your job for this…
- Philippians 4:19 NKJV – And my God shall supply all my needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
- You’re looking at a demotion
- Deuteronomy 28:13 NKJV – And the Lord will make me the head and not the tail; I shall be above only, and not be beneath…
- Husband and wife issues
- 1 Corinthians 13:5 NKJV – I do not behave rudely, do not seek my own, am not provoked, think no evil;
- Ephesians 5:25 NKJV – I, love my wife, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,
- John 8:36 NKJV – Therefore if the Son makes me free, I shall be free indeed.
God’s righteousness needs an outlet:
Also, by making you righteous, God is showing Himself righteous
- Romans 3:26 NKJV – “to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus”.
You need your faith for one thing in life: to believe that you are the righteousness of God in Christ!
Mark 9:23 NKJV says, “Jesus said to him, If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”
- How do we “believe”? We get in the habit of speaking Gods Word every time we get the chance. We practice it day in and day out. Then, when the wind blows, it will come shooting out and hold us up.
Confession is your way to victory!